The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in an immigration Fraud investigation.
During October 2014, 31 Division Fraud Squad began an investigation where a large number of people had been allegedly defrauded of over $1.5 million by GoWest Jobs International at 1315 Finch Avenue West #500. GoWest Jobs International is a recruiting agency primarily dealing with immigrant workers.
It is alleged that:
– individuals, their family and friends from other countries, would be recruited for jobs in Canada
– many of the foreign applicants are of Filipino descent
– payment was requested for positive documents, references and employment contracts to be provided to applicants
– the application would be submitted to the government agency in the foreign country
– this paperwork is necessary to be allowed to work in Canada under the government program
– the applicants were then denied entry to Canada due to the fraudulent documents and contracts submitted on their behalf
– the applicant would then be banned from re-applying for two years
– the company received over $1.5 million in fees from over 500 applicants recruited in six different countries
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015, Imelda “Mel” Fronda Saluma, 46, of Toronto, was charged with:
1) 11 counts of Fraud Over $5000
2) nine counts of Pass Off Wares/Services
3) eight counts of Fraud Under $5000
4) nine counts of Obtain Money by False Pretense
5) Make False Statement to Procure Discount
6) Make Document Without Authority
She made a court appearance on Wednesday, February 4, 2015, at 1000 Finch Avenue West, room 306, for a bail hearing.
Police believe there may be more victims.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3100, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.