Manila- (CAAP) The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines has issued advisory tips to air transport passengers on how to avoid falling prey to those who extort money using the ”tanim-bala” scheme.
Eric Apolonio CAAP spokesperson advised the Following
- Strictly monitor all their luggage and never allow strangers to handle them.
- All zippers, pouches, and pockets of their luggage must be closed, locked and sealed so that if the seal gets broken, a passenger will immediately notice that his bag was opened without his permission.
- You should never lose sight of their respective luggage,when passing through airport security X-ray and walk-thru metal detectors .
- You should immediately get their bags as they exit the X-ray machine.
- Refuse to carry or accept any luggage or items from strangers.
CAAP will also require all airport security personnel under the Office for Transportation Security (OTS) to wear white gloves while on duty for sanitation purposes.
This will also serve as deterrent against unscrupulous individuals who will try to victimize innocent passengers.
“Security is everyone’s concern so we must all be vigilant for the protection of the riding passengers,” Apolonio said.
CAAP has already allotted funds for additional and upgraded cameras to all CAAP-managed airport.
CAAP is currently managing 84 provincial airports, 42 of which are involved in commercial operations.
The OTS recently came under fire after some its personnel were accused of engaging in the so-called ”tanim bala” modus. Some of its personnel were also accused of stealing the bag of an overseas Filipino worker.
Source : abs-cbn