In line with the current tension in Middle East countries, Filipinos working there have urged President Aquino to bring back the Presidential Middle East Preparedness Committee (PMEPC) that aims to basically provide assistance, security, as well as protection to affected OFWs in case the conflict persist.
A certain John Monterona, an OFW leader, was the one who issued an appeal just in case the issue will worsen. United States and Saudi Arabia is said to have joined forces to basically eliminate the terrorist group in Syria, ISIS. Any development in this matter will surely lead to World War III especially because Russia will backed up Syria if war persist.
Montenegro said that the government should not dismiss conflict of these two countries especially now that Russia vowed to take the side of Syria. He added that this conflict will soon lead to World War III, something that many countries around the world never want to transpire.
Presidential Middle East Preparedness Committee (PMEPC) was an Executive Order way back September 2, 2010. It was previously headed by Special Envoy Roy A. Simatu. Its efforts was then extended until June 30, 2011 according to Acquino’s Order No. 20.
OFWs in Middle East want to be fully informed about the threat they will face in accordance to the growing tension of these powerful countries.
A total of 2.1 million OFWs are working in Middle East and about 1 million are situated in Saudi Arabia.