Artocarpus Odoratissimus, also known as Marang, is a tropical fruit with sweet taste and odor. It typically grows to approximately 25 meters and cultivated for 4 to 5 years. You should also take note to consume this fruit as soon as possible after opening to enjoy its rich flavor before it oxidizes.
Its physical characteristics are similar to jackfruit yet with similar arils or the bulb-like structures surrounding the fruit.
Marang is mostly found in the southern part of the Philippines. Once ripe, it does not fall into the ground, instead it should be manually harvested.
Though not that well-known, Marang is rich in vitamins and minerals such as iron, carbohydrates, protein, fat, calcium, beta-carotene, thiamine, niacin, vitamin A, C, and riboflavin.
Because of its rich nutritional content, it is also oozing with health benefits which include:
- Marang lowers blood pressure
- Marang reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Marang prevents cancer
- Marang reduces the risk of acquiring digestive and eye problems
- Marang helps regular blood sugar
- Marang is good for your digestive system as it contains indigestible fiber that provides better water absorption
- Marang promotes regular bowel movements, prevents and provides fast constipation relief
Fruits are not just delicious but also provides numerous health benefits