A checklist of what makes a good domestic helper has been making rounds online.
It was posted by Ram Ejih OFW in HongKong the three-page letter is addressed to the maid of a household, who expects her to comply with the list in order for her to be considered a good domestic helper.
The beginning of the list asks the domestic helper to keep a proper appearance at all times. This includes tying their hair up neatly and the prevention of wearing jewelry and makeup.
A good domestic helper must also follow instructions and must not argue with the employer. They must also be humble, responsible, and polite.
The list also asked the domestic helper to ask permission from the employer at all times, from entering the room to dealing with the baby. They are also prohibited from using the appliances the employers are using.
While the list is extensive, it is the reality of many domestic helpers to abide by the rules of the employers. This ensures a good relationship between the two parties.
The Full Rules :
Below are the list of our house rules and our expectation of a good Domestic Helper.
- You have to tie up your hair neatly at all times, except when you are taking shower and sleep, so that you don’t look messy.
- You cannot wear sleeveless of very sexy clothes when you are working. For all the earring, ring or watch are now allow to wear. You cannot use make-up or nail polish at all.
- You have to shower every day and brush your teeth at least twice a day. Change your clothes whenever it’s dirty, and make sure you have no body odor at all times as you have to take care of the baby. Do not use deodorant with smell.
- You cannot apply anything that is oily or has a strong smell as Ma’am and the baby are sensitive to them. No smoking. No perfumes of oil.
- If you are not feeling well, let us know and we will give you another medicine.
- You must always keep your room neat, clean, and tidy.
- You must always keep your finger and toenails short and clean. Cut your nails in bathroom.
- Always wash your hands with hand soap after using the toilet, after doing your chores, after eating, when we come home from outside, before cooking, before preparing feeding and before taking care of the baby.
- Please never eat in bedroom.
- Listen carefully to instructions and follow. Please do not argue with us when we give you instructions. Since we are the employers, things will be done our way.
- Be humble, mature, and responsible. If we tell you that you have done something wrong, apologize and do it correctly. Apologize saying “Sorry, Ma’am/Sir”, not “Ya” or “Ok.” Remember your mistakes and do not repeat them again, or you will be wasting everyone’s time.
- You must be polite and greet everyone who comes to our house or when we visit their houses. This is good manners.
- Please greet us before you eat. If we are having meals at other people’s house, do greet the owners as well. This is basic courtesy to be thankful for your meals.
- Please do not talk to outsiders without our permission. If you are outside and someone comes to speak to you, move away or let us know. Only talk to people we know, including other helpers we know.
- You cannot open the door to any stranger without our permission. We will tell you if someone is coming.
- Answer the phone if you are alone at home, and not busy with the baby; it will usually be us. If it is someone else, just say we are not home and ask them to leave their name and phone no. to you then we will call back later. Remember not to give our cell phone or home phone numbers to any stranger or someone who called from outside.
- You can only enter our rooms if we tell you to. If you need to do something inside, like taking care of our baby or cleaning and tidy up, ask our permission first.
- You cannot let the baby go to the kitchen, balcony, roof—top or outside of the main door without our permission. NEVER keep the baby out of your sight when you and the baby at home or go outside.
- You cannot use any of the stuffs in the bathroom and the cosmetics in our bedroom. There are only for our own use and our guests. You are only allowed to use hand soap and toilet paper in the bathroom.
- You cannot use our rack to hang your underwear and clothes; we will give you one for your own use. Do not accumulate your dirty clothes; hand wash them every two days as this is good hygiene.
- You cannot use our dryer and washing machine to wash or dry your own underwear and clothes. All your underwear and clothes must be hand-washed and hung to dry.
- You cannot watch TV, play computer, read book or the newspaper when you are supposed to be doing your work or taking care of the baby. You can read our books if you have time, especially baby books or cook books. Do not turn on the TV/air con on your own, especially when you are alone in the house. You can read, write, or just rest after you have finished your chores.
- You have to inform us immediately if you are slightly sick. If you are sick and don’t see a doctor, we will have to take care of you when you are very sick. You may pass the germs to the baby or us, and we will all fall sick. We will be very angry if this happens as the baby is sick and very weak.
- Please do not use any of your traditional ways on us or the baby. Just do your job well and we will treat you well like a member of our family.
- After you have finished repaying your loan, you can use your own salary to get a prepaid card for use. You can only use your cell phone after working time, or if we allow you to rest earlier. Your cell phone must be off and kept away during your working time. We do not want you to be distracted when taking care of the baby. If you break this rule, we will keep your cell phone and not allow you to use it anymore.
- Please tell us if you hurt yourself. We want you to get treated immediately in the right way. Do not use your own medications. We will give you ours.
- You cannot tell outsiders what happened in our house or what we say. This is simple respect for us.
- You must always be honest and tell the truth. Please do not lie to us about anything. If we find out you lied about anything, we cannot trust you anymore.
- You must NEVER steal anything—clothes, things, money or food from us or anyone else. If you steal, we will send you to the police and you will GO TO JAIL. You will also not be able to come back to Hong Kong to work FOREVER.
- Taking care of the baby is your most important job. You have to take care of her well, then do housework.
- You cannot beat or scold the baby. If she is naughty or you cannot handle her, tell us and we will teach you how. If you treat her well, she will love you, too.
- If something happens when you are feeding, changing or carrying the baby, like raining or water boiling, always take care of the baby first. Finish what you are doing with the baby quickly then go do the other things.
- If you think the baby is sick, tell us immediately. A small thing might be very bad for the baby, so we have to decide how to treat her or bring her to see doctor.