The Philippine Embassy in Muscat has released an advisory regarding the minimum salary of all Filipino workers which is OMR290/month. The advisory was from the Philippine Overseas Labour Office that will set as guideline to sponsors towards the rights of Overseas Filipino Workers in Oman.
“May we remind the sponsors/principal employers and foreign recruitment agencies (FRAs) of the basic rights due to all Filipino workers that are deployed in the Sultanate of Oman,” says the advisory.
Other things that Filipino workers should note includes:
- Passports should be kept with the worker unless voluntarily entrusted to persons or institution, preferably with FRAs
- Workers are entitled to a paid leave (day off/rest day) of one day per week
- Sponsors must provide decent food or equivalent food allowance not less than OMR30
- Sponsors must provide suitable and safe accommodation or equivalent accommodation allowance of not less than OMR80
- Besides, free transportation to and from work or equivalent transportation allowance of not less than OMR20 should be given
- Provide health and accident insurance valid throughout the period of the working visa/contract
Filipinos are advised not to fall prey to illegal recruiters promising decent jobs in Oman and in other parts of the world. Keep in touch only to those accredited agencies.