Monday, around 9 in the evening, 49 Overseas Filipino Workers arrived at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3. They are the victims of PEYA Travel ticketing fraud.
The 49 OFWs were among the second batch of Filipinos who were brought back to the Philippines following the unfortunate events in Hong Kong caused by PEYA TRAVEL.
Despite mixed emotions of anger and exhaustion, affected OFWs felt totally happy that they are home with their families this New Year. It won’t be done without the help of Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), the Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific and President Duterte.
“My vacation should just be one week. However, I experienced some problems. Peya fooled us. But thank god. Thank you to the president as for the fast action of OWWA,” says one of the affected OFW Jennely Naquila.
A temporary accommodation was designated by OWWA for stranded OFWs. They will also provide help for OFWs who wants to go back to their provinces.
“Those with someone to fetch them, waiting for them outside, they go with them. Those without someone to fetch them can come with us at the OWWA office. We have a hostel there which is open 24/7. They can stay there while we are preparing their ride back to their provinces,” says Atty. Brigido Dulay, OWWA Deputy Administrator for Operations.
The President is encouraging every Filipino to remain in the country, however, if they still chose to work abroad, he and other government agencies are willing to lend a helping hand to those OFWs in need of immediate assistance.
OFWs who are previously stranded in Hong Kong because of the controversy involving PEYA Travel Agency are scheduled to return on the 8th of January, 2018.