One of OWWA’s outstanding scholarship benefit programs for OFWs is the Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP), which provides a maximum of PhP60,000 per academic year in financial assistance to qualified dependents.
The EDSP entails a number of responsibilities and procedures similarly to previous grants that we have discussed. You need not worry, though – use this guide to apply for the OWWA EDSP grant.
Students attending college or university can apply for OWWA’s EDSP scholarship. For Filipino students who are far from their families, they can receive up to PhP60,000 in cash grants per year. Applicants must meet various requirements and perform certain duties, which will be explained in more detail below.
A maximum of PhP60,000 per academic year is available for OFW dependents who qualify for the scholarship.
In addition, they will be free to choose the 4 to 5 year degree program they wish to pursue, and the scholarship will continue even if the relative’s membership status changes after they apply.
- Filipino Citizen
- An active OWWA OFW member’s child, if the OFW is married or a single parent. Siblings of active OWWA OFWs can also be dependents.
- Students entering as freshmen must be outgoing Grade 12 students no older than 21 years old with a General Weighted Average (GWA) of at least 80% or equivalent and be part of the upper 20% of the graduating class.
- The applicant’s age must not exceed 30 as of the application deadline, and the applicant’s GWA should be at least 85%.
- Good moral character and good overall health are required.
- No other government grant must have been received.
- Eligible dependents may start with their application by completing the following requirements:
- 2 copies of duly filled Application Form
- 2 copies of recent, identical 2×2 photos
- Any of the following documents to certify a relationship with an OWWA OFW member:
- Original, PSA-issued birth certificate, if the applicant is a child of the OFW
- PSA-issued birth certificate of BOTH child and OFW, if the applicant is a sibling of the OFW
- Copy of Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) of OFW, if OFW is unmarried.
- For incoming freshmen, a sealed copy of Form 137; For enrolled college students, a sealed copy of Transcript of Records.
- Official receipt of OWWA membership or OFW Verification Sheet
- Health Insurance
- Certificate of Good Moral Character, issued by the principal or guidance counselor.
- A sworn statement certifying that the beneficiary/applicant has not taken any post-secondary units (if incoming freshmen), is not a recipient of any government-funded grant and has not undergone the EDSP qualifying exam upon the time of application.
- A sworn statement certifying that the beneficiary/applicant is not a dual citizen, and has no resident immigration application in progress for any country, duly signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Duly accomplished Scholarship Agreement Form
How To Process EDSP Scholarship Program
After completing all requirements, applicants can proceed to the next steps:
Step 1: OWWA’s official website has an application form for EDSP that can be downloaded or printed.
Step 2: Ensure that all the required information is filled in and all documentation is attached.
Step 3: Send your application via courier to the OWWA Regional Office near you or online.
Step 4: OWWA representative will call, text, or email you to confirm your grant slot.
More information visit OWWA